Monday, January 02, 2006

Random thoughts for 2006

2005 has been one great string of illnesses and mishaps for me. The last inconvenience is the injury to my right arm and shoulder. That makes even simply thing like picking up a spoon difficult and of course typing is slow (right hand) and painful.

The past few years, for fun and serious observations, I am using a Chinese astroger's yearly forecast to see how accurate he is. As a rule I use his forecast to keep an eye on all evils and ill-luck that suppose to happen to me of that particular year. He cautioned about injury to my limbs. In April 2005 I had severe septicemia to my bad left leg that lasted for months. By end November I was thinking he is 1/4 right (1 leg out of 4 limbs), then a week later he is 1/2 right ! (now 1 leg, 1 arm) ... OK Mr. Ming, you don't have to be perfect!

Enough of 2005.

When I was YOUNG, homework asignment from our teacher during the new year's break was to come up with a list of things we were supposed to accomplish for the new year. Well, age told me life is unpredictable. Plans don't always go the way we want. Should I still make a list of wishes and goals for 2006? I don't think so. BUT I do have 2 items left over from 2005 (due to illness) that I must complete. If I can manage them within the next 4 months I would be very contended for 2006. The most important is my thesis. The second is to learn how to use a home knitting machine. Finishing the thesis might not even land me with a job that I want to do. Learning how to knit with a machine might finally put a plan in place for a new venture. That is if my right arm cooperates.

I am not sure where my blog would bring me to. Nor how long would I use it to rant and rave! As a rather private person, keeping a blog is something not my cup of tea so to speak. On the other hand since I am hoping to transition from an 'office person' (that is when I finally able to land a job) to a handy-person (knitting), therefore keeping a blog is to allow me to keep writing and use my other side of the brain.

Would I be talking about collaboration, KM, elearning, cultures ... things that I am still very much interested in but not an expert? I don't know. My disappointment with just 'talking' about them is: I have not yet found a place where I can use them. I feel like a mad woman at times raving and ranting about my point of views with nowhere to try them out. Theory and practice.

I am also sad to see newspaper and journals fighting for survival because bloggers are spring up everywhere. BUT bloggers is not journalists. What they write based on their own opinions such as this one person. Whereas professional news media, if they do it right, based their opinions from the public (I will come back to this topic again). That would be such a shame if the world eventually ends up without a newspaper. Some would argue bloggers are giving their opinions. True. But how many blogs is one suppose to read to get the right opinions? And using RSS feeds to collect information is too one-sided. I like to flip over pages, scan on columns ... sometime I come acrossed something that is completely unexpected ...

1 comment:

Martin Barge said...

Hi Cindy,
I've just read your comment on my Blog [martinbarge.blogspot.com], so I want to reply. Did you get my email?

You have some very interesting ideas about innovation - actually I like your earlier remarks about innovation being impossible from JUST ONE PERSON'S idea. Yes, I agree, we should strive to be better team players. However, I was terrible at team sports at school (football, rugby, cricket) but I was good at individual sports (tennis, squash, judo, ping-pong), so I've always considered myself to be less team-oriented and more individualistic.
But I think your point is very valid, and in fact I think it is most important to allow individuals to grow and develop within the team/organisational culture in which they live/work.

Anyway, Cindynics, I've got work to do on my dissertation.

Best wishes, Martin.