Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Goudstikker collections: Moral? Ethics? Whoes Moral? What ethics?

On Monday 6 Feb, 2006 the Dutch goverment returned 202 of the 267 painting from the Goudstikker collections to the heir of Goudstikker. Based on the principles of 'moral'.

Now here comes the interesting twist: the Dutch goverment and her citizens now has very HIGH MORAL. If I am the heir of GOudstikker I should think more about if I should take the paintings and run. Don't they now have to face the MORAL and ETHIC issues?

Here is the meaning of MORAL according to one dictionary: Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.

So, fellow Dutch citizens, be happy! We are now a nation with very high moral Standards. Why should we care if we lost our heritage that are rightfully belong to us?

A similar case happened to the Austrian nation in January. Another claimed by Jewish family of some paintings. In this case the family offered the Austrian government 250 millions to purchase the 'returned goods' .. The Austrian governement turned down citing 'TOO EXPENSIVE'. Personally I think is bad taste from the family.

I just wonder, IF the 267 paintings are 267 strayed cats and dogs, or orphanes, would the heires of Goudstikekrs be interested to CLAIM back from the Dutch nation? I know I am mean. But I am also tired of people using such 'heart wrenching' words to make us want to weep for them. I wonder too if the lawyers receive any bonus from winning the case?

When I have time I will update with links and more details.




1 comment:

hoong said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.